Monday , September 25 2017
Free Online Courses
Home / Tips / What is the difference between PCOS and PCOD?

What is the difference between PCOS and PCOD?


Most occasions individuals use PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and PCOD (polycystic ovarian illness) interchangeably. This is as a result of each the circumstances are related to ovaries, an integral a part of the feminine reproductive system and present comparable signs. Every lady has two ovaries which produce feminine hormones and launch one egg every month into the uterus. At occasions, the ovaries can launch multiple egg. Apart from producing estrogen or the feminine hormone the ovaries additionally produce traces of androgen or testosterone, which is the male reproductive hormone. Hormonal imbalances in the ovaries can result in circumstances like PCOS and PCOD.

‘While people usually think that both PCOS and PCOD are same because they are similar symptomatically and are caused due to hormonal imbalances, but in reality, they are different, albeit marginally. A woman suffering from PCOD might not have the same problems like the one suffering from PCOS,’ says Dr Beena Jeysingh, Consultant, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Motherhood Hospitals, Bengaluru.

What is PCOD?

This is a situation the place the ovaries have small follicular cysts developed as a result of hormonal imbalances. These cysts are literally immature eggs that would not be expelled out of the ovary. High insulin ranges, dependency on junk meals, weight problems, stress coupled with hormonal imbalances are considered some causes that give rise to PCOD. Some of the signs of this situation are irregular durations, hair loss, stomach weight problems and incapability to conceive.

In this situation, the ovaries turn out to be enlarged and there is an extra of androgen or male reproductive hormone secreted by them together with estrogen. ‘This situation may be picked up when a lady goes for an ultrasound to verify for causes of menstrual irregularities. While many individuals assume PCOD may intrude with being pregnant, this is not true. This situation doesn’t spell infertility for all women. In round 80 % of instances, women can conceive with a bit of assist and have a clean being pregnant. But for the remaining 20 % that suffer from PCOD and are obese, for them conceiving could possibly be troublesome,’ says Dr Singh. Here are 9 myths and information about fertility that everybody ought to know.

What is PCOS?

This is extra extreme than PCOD. In this situation, there are a minimum of twelve or extra follicular cysts produced in every ovary, each month. The ovum is not launched from the ovary leading to anovulation, and there is a excessive degree of testosterone or androgen secreted by the ovaries. ‘In PCOS the hormonal imbalance is way more than that in PCOD,’ says Dr Singh. However, each are marked by irregularities in the menstrual cycle, hair loss, weight problems and incapability to conceive. ‘For women with PCOS conception is challenging because of the hormonal irregularities. To conceive one needs to have balanced hormonal cycles that create an environment for the ovum to release and infuse with the sperm after intercourse. Since the levels of androgens are too high, if one falls under the syndrome this makes it challenging for conception,’ says Dr Singh.

In each instances, well timed analysis and corrective remedy may also help overcome the syndrome and make the street for conception.

Image source: Shutterstock

Published: August 16, 2017 three:37 pm



Source link